Where is the latest step by step guide to use Jython to compilePython into Java?

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 13:30:25 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 10:17 AM, Benjamin Kaplan
<benjamin.kaplan at case.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 11:47 AM, David Shi <davidgshi at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hello, Mohan,
>>
>> Did you test it?  I am using Windows.  Where are the exact steps for
>> compiling in DOS?
>>
>> Once .class or jar files created, how to use these files?
>>
>> Could you enlighten me with tested/proven step by step instructions?
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> David
>>
>> _______
>
> David,
>
> Jythonc has been deprecated for years and hasn't been included with
> Jython since 2.2. Nor does it support any language feature newer than
> 2.2. I don't think anyone managed to get the python to JVM byte code
> compiler working either since JVM byte code is notoriously bad for
> things that don't behave like Java.

I don't think that's correct.  My recollection is that jythonc was
replaced with the py_compile and compileall modules for compatibility
with the CPython compilation features.  .py files are compiled to
.class files.  At one point I recollect they were actually compiled to
.pyc and then the .pyc was compiled to .class, but the .pyc step may
have been phased out.

Cheers,
Ian