Help needed with nested parsing of file into objects

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Mon Jun 4 09:13:05 EDT 2012

In article
<6b296278-fd32-45fb-b5c7-6c0fe5ce4967 at q2g2000vbv.googlegroups.com>,
 richard <pullenjenna10 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys i am having a bit of dificulty finding the best approach /
> solution to parsing a file into a list of objects / nested objects any
> help would be greatly appreciated.

The first question is "Why do you want to do this?"  Is this some
pre-existing file format imposed by an external system that you can't
change?  Or are you just looking for a generic way to store nested
structures in a file?

If the later, then I would strongly suggest not rolling your own.  Take
a look at json or pickle (or even xml) and adopt one of those.