Installing Mailman

Benjamin Kaplan benjamin.kaplan at case.edu
Mon Jun 4 01:08:01 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 12:49 AM, Chris Rebert <clp2 at rebertia.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 9:04 PM, Janet Heath
> <janetcatherine.heath at gmail.com> wrote:
>> checking for --with-python... no
>> checking for python... /usr/bin/python
>> checking Python interpreter... /usr/bin/python
>> checking Python version... 2.7.1
>> checking Python's email package... ok
>> checking Japanese codecs... ok
>> checking Korean codecs... ok
>> checking that Python has a working distutils... configure: error:
>>
>> ***** Distutils is not available or is incomplete for /usr/bin/python
>> ***** If you installed Python from RPM (or other package manager)
>> ***** be sure to install the -devel package, or install Python
>> ***** from source.  See sec. 15.1 of the Installation Manual for
>> ***** details
>>
>> When I try to check the configuration ./configure for Mailman, I get
>> the above messages.
>
> What *nix flavor or Linux distro are you running?
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

Based on the previous post (./configure), I would assume OS X Lion. I
would also assume she gave up on compiling 2.7.3 herself because it's
only finding the system Python.

Janet, did you install the binary from http://www.python.org? If so,
look up the --with-python argument it's checking for (./configure
--help) and set the Python location accordingly.