argparse limitations

Benoist Laurent benoist at ibpc.fr
Tue Jul 31 08:51:13 EDT 2012

Le Jul 31, 2012 à 1:45 PM, Oscar Benjamin a écrit :

> On 31 July 2012 12:03, Benoist Laurent <benoist at ibpc.fr> wrote:
> Finally.
>
> The code I proposed doesn't work in this case: if you add any positional argument to one of the subparsers, then the parsing doesn't work anymore.
> The reason seems to be that argparse thinks the last argument of the first parser is the last but one argument.
> Hence, if a subparser takes some arguments, it fails.
>
> Example: if the "-n" argument of the foo parser is set mandatory (so becomes "n" instead of "-n")
>
> python toto.py foo.txt bar.txt foo 10
> usage: toto.py [-h] [fname [fname ...]] command ...
> toto.py: error: argument command: invalid choice: '10' (choose from 'foo', 'bar')
>
> What about:
>
> $ python toto.py foo.txt bar.txt foo -n 10
>
> Note that contrary to what you said above, your program does not work like a "standard unix tool". A standard command line program to do what you want would normally look like

You're right.
But then, using argparse, I would have to add the same argument to all my subparsers since argparse does the work sequentially: once it recognized the start of a subparser, everything that follows have to be an argument of this subparser.
Hence, arguments (therefore options) from the main parser are not recognized anymore.

> $ python toto.py foo -n 10 foo.txt bar.txt

Same remark as above: if I want the command line to look like this, then I would have setup each subparser with all the main program options.

> or perhaps
>
> $ python toto.py foo foo.txt bar.txt -n 10
>
> so that the algorithm for differentiating the command 'foo' from the filenames is well defined. How do you propose that your user enters a filename 'foo'?

Well I guess it is a intrinsec limitation: I think it's quite natural that the user can't enter a filename named as a command.