Extracting bit fields from an IEEE-784 float

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Mon Jul 30 10:16:05 EDT 2012

On 2012-07-30, Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:

> 1) Are there any known implementations or platforms where Python floats
> are not C doubles? If so, what are they?

And the question you didn't ask: are there any platforms where a C
double isn't IEEE-754?

The last ones I worked on that where the FP format wasn't IEEE were
the DEC VAX and TI's line if 32-bit floating-point DSPs.  I don't
think Python runs on the latter, but it might on the former.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I was born in a
                                  at               Hostess Cupcake factory