Is Python a commercial proposition ?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Jul 30 03:52:55 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 4:07 PM, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
> Still, you may still get away with the above statement by providing a
> sufficiently narrow definition of "standalone". By my definition, there
> isn't much "standalone" code out there. Most code I know interfaces with a
> couple of external tools, libraries or backends, usually written in
> languages I don't have to care about because they provide a language
> independent interface.

Agreed, and the flip-side of that is that there aren't many
mono-language developers either. Sure, it'd be possible to make a
career of nothing but Objective-C, writing apps for Apple to make all
the money off, but even then you'll probably benefit from knowing some
glue languages.

Python's an excellent glue language, but it's also fine for huge
applications. Yes, it can't multithread across cores if you use
CPython and are CPU-bound. That's actually a pretty specific
limitation, and taking out any component of that eliminates the GIL as
a serious problem.

ChrisA