Is Python a commercial proposition ?

Rodrick Brown rodrick.brown at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 22:31:00 EDT 2012

On Jul 29, 2012, at 8:54 PM, Andrew Berg <bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7/29/2012 7:12 PM, Rodrick Brown wrote:
>> Python is a glue language much like Perl was 10 years ago. Until the
>> GIL is fixed I doubt anyone will seriously look at Python as an option
>> for large enterprise standalone application development.
> The GIL is neither a bug to be fixed nor an inherent part of the
> language. It is a design choice for CPython. There are reasons the
> CPython devs have no intention of removing the GIL (at least in the near
> future). A recent outline of these reasons (written by one of the
> CPython devs) is here:
>
> http://python-notes.boredomandlaziness.org/en/latest/python3/questions_and_answers.html#but-but-surely-fixing-the-gil-is-more-important-than-fixing-unicode

Hence the reason why no one will seriously look at Python for none
glue work or simple web apps.  When it comes to designing complex
applications that need to exploit large multicore systems Python just
isn't an option.

Its still not possible to be a pure Python developer and find gainful
employment today.