OT: Text editors

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Sun Jul 29 17:41:13 EDT 2012

On 2012-07-29, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Point taken, snag being I've never used any nix box in anger.  This
> thread reminds of the good 'ole days when I were a lad using TPU on
> VMS.  Have we got any VMS aficionados here?

It's been a long time, but I used eve/tpu as my main editor for
several years back when I did embedded SW development on VMS.  I was
an ex-Unix user, so I used DECShell a lot -- even though it was
painfully slow.  The entire Unix philosophy is based on the assumption
that process creation is inexpensive, and I was told process creation
on VMS was _very_ expensive, so Bourne shell scripts that would have
taken second under Unix took minutes under VMS.

--
Grant