Is Python a commercial proposition ?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Jul 29 15:38:50 EDT 2012

On 7/29/2012 12:01 PM, lipska the kat wrote:
> I'm trying to understand where Python fits into the set of commonly
> available, commercially used languages of the moment.

Ever heard of a little startup called Google? It was built with C, Java,
... and Python. I believe Youtube is scripted in Python.

 > Are applications generally written entirely in python
 > or is it more often used for a subset of functionality.

Even if the direct application is in Python, if it runs on CPython, it
probably uses modules coded or re-coded in C, and it certainly used
builtin functions and classes coded in C.

The first 'killer app' for Python, in the 1990s, was its use as a glue
language for interactive and batch scientific/numerical computation
mostly done in compiled Fortran.

--
Terry Jan Reedy