ANN: dbf.py 0.94.003

Simon Cropper simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com
Thu Jul 26 21:22:11 EDT 2012

On 27/07/12 05:31, Ethan Furman wrote:
> A few more bug fixes, and I actually included the documentation this
> time.  :)  It can be found at http://python.org/pypi/dbf, and has been
> tested on CPythons 2.4 - 2.7, and PyPy 1.8.

[snip]

Ethan,

That's great.

Can you comment on the ultimate aim of the project?

Is this package primarily a "universal dbf translator" that allows the
data stored in DBFs (which I might add I have many in legacy VFP
applications and GIS Shapefiles) to be accessed and extracted or is the
module being designed to be used interactively to extract data from and
update tables?

I remember on the last thread that someone mentioned that indexes are
not supported. I presume then that moving around a table with a couple
of million records might be a tad slow. Have you tested the package on
large datasets, both DBFs with a large number of records as well as a
large number of fields?

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides