from future import pass_function

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Thu Jul 26 00:32:33 EDT 2012

Ross Ridge wrote:
> Ross Ridge <rridge at csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>> No, they're very much alike.  That's why all your arguments for print
>> as function also apply just as well to pass a function.  Your arguments
>> had very little to do what what print actually did.
>
> Chris Angelico  <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Except that print / print() is executable. Execution proceeds through
>> your code, comes to a "print", and goes off to handle that, then comes
>> back to your code. But "pass" doesn't have code attached to it. Why
>> should it be a function?
>
> For consistancy with print.  What it does doesn't matter any more than
> what print did mattered.

Of course what print did mattered.  `print` was not changed to `print()`
because a function looks cooler; it was changed because it does stuff,
and what it does could be changed with parameters, and overriding it
with your own custom thingie was a useful thing to do.

What code does `pass` run?  When do we pass parameters to `pass`?   When
do we need to override `pass`?

Answers:  None.  Never.  Still waiting for a reply from the OP for a use
case.

How does that quote go?  "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of
little minds"?  This definitely fits that category.

~Ethan~