from future import pass_function

Philipp Hagemeister phihag at phihag.de
Wed Jul 25 06:30:01 EDT 2012

Unlike the print statement, pass has no overboarding complexity (like
>>, printing tuples, etc.) - it just serves as a marker (and
practicality beats purity).

And you don't ever want to use pass as a value (say, for map() or the
right side of an assignment). In fact, if pass were a function, users
could construct strange code like

x = pass()

def pass():
   raise Exception('Are you slacking off? Get back to work!')

And don't forget that while the parentheses mainly confuse users,
they're also making it harder to type, and feel like useless overhead
(similar to the parentheses in  if (x):  ). In fact, I'd argue that if
pass were a function, None would be the better placeholder:

try:
    do_something()
except:
    None # 2 hard-to-type (on a German keyboard) characters shorter
    # (and probably way faster: No function call overhead and no need
    #  to actually find out what pass happens to be in this context)

- Philipp