howto do a robust simple cross platform beep

Jerry Hill malaclypse2 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 18:03:19 EDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 9:00 PM, Gelonida N <gelonida at gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried the simplest approach (just printing the BEL character '\a' chr(7)
> to the console.

That's what I do when I want to send an audible alert to the user of a
console based program.  It's then up to the user's terminal to do
whatever the user wants. Printing a BEL character has the added
advantage that it plays nicely with programs that are run remotely
(through ssh sessions and the like).

Personally, I'm usually in a screen session, inside either an xterm or
over an ssh link, and have visual bells turned on so I can see the
alerts, even when they pop up in another screen.

--
Jerry