howto do a robust simple cross platform beep

Gelonida N gelonida at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 17:39:30 EDT 2012

On 07/15/2012 03:15 AM, rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com wrote:> On Friday,
July 13, 2012 8:00:05 PM UTC-5, gelonida wrote:
 >> I just want to use a beep command that works cross platform. [...] I
 >> just want to use them as alert, when certain events occur within a
 >> very long running non GUI application.
 >
 > I can see a need for this when facing a non GUI interface.
That's exactly my usecase.
A rather tiny script running for hours and telling the users when
results are ready.

But even "IF" you do manage to play a sound in a cross platform manner;
if the speaker volume is too low, or the speakers are turned off, or the
computer does not have speakers connected, etc... your user will never
hear the alert! In this case, beeping the built-in speaker has the
fail-safe advantage.

Well the user starts the script, because he wants to get immediate
notification while being able mimimize the window, work on a different a
machine or doing some paperwork or discussions.
So it would be up to him to configure the volume appropraitely.

 > Why not wrap up the functionality and release a module yourself? If
you are not sure how to access the speaker on one or more OSs then ask
on the list. I would love to see some community effort behind this.

I'm having no some ugly code, that is working on the platforms, that I
am using.

I'm rather busy, and have no experience in publishing coe, that's good
enough for the community.

I could try to use this a test case for learning to create communicty
modules.

Is there any decent getting started guide.

Could I use github (as O know git already)?

Assuming, the module would achieve a state, where it could be usable by
others. How would one register on Pypi?

 > PS: Better make sure this module does not exist though ;-)

I didn't find one, that's why I asked here.