the meaning of rユ.......�¾

Larry Hudson orgnut at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 24 03:01:11 EDT 2012

On 07/23/2012 06:22 AM, Dave Angel wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 10:55 PM, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
>>> Some day, we're going to have programming languages that take advantage
>>> of the full unicode character set.  Right now, we're working in ASCII
>>> and creating silly digrams/trigrams like r'' for raw strings (and triple-quotes for multi-line
>>> strings).  Not to mention <=, >=, ==, !=.  And in languages other than
>>> python, things like ->, => (arrows for structure membership), and so on.
>> REXX predates Unicode, I think, or at least its widespread adoption,
>> but it has a non-ASCII operator:
>>
>> http://www.rexswain.com/rexx.html#operators
>>
>> But personally, I've always used backslash. It's nothing to do with
>> ASCII and everything to do with having it on the keyboard. Before you
>> get a language that uses full Unicode, you'll need to have fairly
>> generally available keyboards that have those keys.
>>
>> ChrisA
>

> Keyboards with 110,000 keys on them; wonderful.  And much larger
> characters on the screen, so that all those can be distinguished.  And
> of course all fonts have to support all those characters.
>
> Back to 20 character lines.

Somewhat different than this discussion, and I'm not familiar with it myself, but I've read
about the "Space Cadet Keyboard".  It's described (among other places) at:

http://catb.org/jargon/html/S/space-cadet-keyboard.html

      -=- Larry -=-

OT:  This "Jargon File" can be an entertaining read.  I found "The Story of Mel" particularly
fascinating.