Gender, Representativeness and Reputation in StackOverflow

Devin Jeanpierre jeanpierreda at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 22:51:07 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 9:30 PM, Steven D'Aprano
>> Leaving aside the point that this is not directly related to Python, my
>> opinion is that if the authors will not make past and future papers
>> freely available, not even an abstract, they should not ask for valuable
>> free data from freely donated time.
>
> Well of course it is your time and your judgement to make, but in my
> opinion even non-free scientific knowledge is better than ignorance.

When people boycott a product, it isn't because not having the product
is better than having the product. That's clearly untrue: despite the
reasons for the boycott, the product has some value. They boycott it
because by doing so, they can get something better than <product with
badness> or <nothing> -- they can get <product without badness>. (At
least, in theory :)

Why settle for a terrible situation, when we could be encouraging
people to do better?

/me has been paying too much attention to the Elsevier boycott

-- Devin