Gender, Representativeness and Reputation in StackOverflow

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Jul 23 20:01:27 EDT 2012

On Monday 23 July 2012 19:42:29 Alexander Serebrenik did opine:

> 1) The paper referenced contains 4 pages, so it should be available via
> IEEXplore. Moreover, you can find a copy on
> http://www.win.tue.nl/~aserebre/MSR2012.pdf
>
> 2) Since the survey is only one of the techniques we intend to use, and
> it will be augmented by analysing the data publicly available in the SE
> dump, I believe the selection bias is appropriately addressed.

I think you are missing the point, Alexander.  From my limited reading here
as I lurk, you seem to taking freely available data and putting it behind
the infamous IEEE paywall.  If that isn't the case, I apologize.  That sort
of thing will always tend to chase the folks who could probably make the
best use of it, away.

I could well be full of it, but that is how this now old man who has been
chasing electrons and making them do work useful for me and my employers
for the last 62 years, sees and tastes my experiences with IEEE.  Its a bad
taste in my mouth every time we meet.

If you think I'm kidding about the years above, I had fingerprints on the
pcb's of the two tv cameras that were on the Trieste when it, Lt. Walsh and
Jacques Cousteau  went down into the mohole in Feb. 1960.

That, and $1.32 will get you a 16 oz cup of coffee to go at my local 7-11.
:)

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Faster, faster, you fool, you fool!