the meaning of rユ.......ï¾

Ross Ridge rridge at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jul 23 12:19:49 EDT 2012

Roy Smith  <roy at panix.com> wrote:
>When I first started writing C code, it was on ASR-33s which did not
>support curly baces.  We wrote ¥( for { and ¥) for } (although I think the translation was
>handled entirely in the TTY driver and the compiler was never in on the
>joke).  20 or 30 years from now, people are going to look back on us
>neanderthals and laugh about how we had to write r''.

No, it's not going to change in 20 or 30 years.  The ASR-33 Teletype
was pretty much obsolete by the time C escaped Bell Labs.  You were
programming in a 70's language using early 60's technology and suffered
accordingly.  Today, the technology to support "Unicode" operators in
programming langauges is both widespread and has existed for a long
time now.  I'm sure you've heard of APL, which both predates Unicode and
C and is almost old as the ASR-33.  If any one actually wanted another
programming language like this it would've come into existance 20 or 30
years ago not 20 or 30 years from now.

Python actually choose to go the other direction and choose to use
keywords as operators instead of symbols in a number of instances.

					Ross Ridge

--
 l/  //	  Ross Ridge -- The Great HTMU
[oo][oo]  rridge at csclub.uwaterloo.ca