Converting a list of strings into a list of integers?

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 11:31:33 EDT 2012

On Jul 23, 7:27 pm, Grant Edwards <inva... at invalid.invalid> wrote:

> That said, "map" seems to be frowned upon by the Python community for
> reasons I've never really understood,...

Maybe the analogy:
comprehension : map    ::   relational calculus : relational algebra

In particular map, filter correspond to project and select in algebra.
In principle the two are equivalent (Codd's theorem) however in
practice, the calculus is found to be more declarative whereas the
algebra is more suitable for specifying execution plans.