Re: the meaning of rユ.......ï¾

Devin Jeanpierre jeanpierreda at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 11:02:52 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Henrik Faber <hfaber at invalid.net> wrote:
> No, you misunderstood me. I didn't say people are going to write
> gibberish. What I'm saying is that as a foreigner (who doesn't know most
> of these characters), it can be hard to accurately choose which one is
> the correct one. This is especially true if the appropriate keys are not
> available on your keyboard. So it makes maintenance of other people's
> code much more difficult if they didn't on their own chose to limit
> themselves to ASCII.

I understand, and agree. But that's not always all that likely a
situation. If your company only employs native Arabic speakers, why
not use Arabic variable names and Arabic script? You'll get more out
of making the language easy to understand for the people that work
there, than out of hedging your bets on the off chance that some
American will stroll in and be confused.

(It is my understanding that, in any case, many non-English companies
do their coding in English. That doesn't mean it's a general rule that
should be forced on everyone.)

-- Devin