the meaning of rユ.......ï¾

Henrik Faber hfaber at invalid.net
Mon Jul 23 10:40:00 EDT 2012

On 23.07.2012 16:10, Devin Jeanpierre wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Henrik Faber <hfaber at invalid.net> wrote:
>> If you allow for UTF-8 identifiers you'll have to be horribly careful
>> what to include and what to exclude. Is the non-breaking space a valid
>> character for a identifier? Technically it's a different character than
>> the normal space, so why shouldn't it be? What an awesome idea!
>>
>> What about × vs x? Or Ì vs Í vs Î vs Ï vs Ĩ vs Ī vs ī vs Ĭ vs ĭ vs Į vs
>> į vs I vs İ? Do you think if you need to maintain such code you'll
>> immediately know the difference between the 13 (!) different "I"s I just
>> happened to pull out randomly you need to chose and how to get it? What
>> about Ȝ vs ȝ? Or Ȣ vs ȣ? Or ȸ vs ȹ? Or d vs Ԁ vs ԁ vs ԃ vs Ԃ? Or ց vs g?
>> Or ս vs u?
>
> Yes, as soon as we add unicode to anything everyone will go insane and
> write gibberish.

No, you misunderstood me. I didn't say people are going to write
gibberish. What I'm saying is that as a foreigner (who doesn't know most
of these characters), it can be hard to accurately choose which one is
the correct one. This is especially true if the appropriate keys are not
available on your keyboard. So it makes maintenance of other people's
code much more difficult if they didn't on their own chose to limit
themselves to ASCII.

Regards,
Henrik