Re: the meaning of rユ.......ï¾

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 09:35:45 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 11:24 PM, Henrik Faber <hfaber at invalid.net> wrote:
> And if I think of PHP's latest fiasco that happened with unicode
> characters, it makes me shudder to think you'd want that stuff in
> Python. If I remember correctly, it was the Turkish locale that they
> stuggled with: Turkey apparently does not have a capital "I", so some
> weird PHP magic code broke with the Turkish locale in effect. Having to
> keep crap like that in mind is just plain horrible. I'm very happy with
> the way Python does it.

That said, though, there's good argument in allowing full Unicode in
*identifiers*. If I'm allowed to name something "foo", then a German
should be allowed to name something "foö". And since identifiers are
case sensitive (at least, they are in all good languages...), there
should be no issues with not having particular letters.

ChrisA