Converting a list of strings into a list of integers?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun Jul 22 11:39:30 EDT 2012

In article <3rCdnUCiWpP1gZHNnZ2dnUVZ7vQAAAAA at giganews.com>,
 Tony the Tiger <tony at tiger.invalid> wrote:

> Hi,
> Is there such a thing in the language, or do I have to invent it myself?
>
> I came up with the following:
>
> # options.modus_list contains, e.g., "[2,3,4]"
> #	(a string from the command line)
> # MODUS_LIST contains, e.g., [2,4,8,16]
> #	(i.e., a list of integers)
>
>     if options.modus_list:
>         intTmp = []
>         modTmp = options.modus_list[1:-1]
>         for itm in modTmp:
>             intTmp.append(int(itm))
>         MODUS_LIST = intTmp

To answer the question you asked, to convert a list of strings to a list
of ints, you want to do something like:

  MODUS_LIST = [int(i) for i in options.modus_list]

But, to answer the question you didn't ask, if you're trying to parse
command-line arguments, you really want to use the argparse module.
It's a little complicated to learn, but it's well worth the effort.