Newbie question on python programming

Tom P werotizy at freent.dd
Sat Jul 21 12:13:31 EDT 2012

On 07/21/2012 02:30 AM, Ian Kelly wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 5:38 PM, Chris Williams
> <purplewelshy at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I hope this is the right newsgroup for this post.
>>
>> I am just starting to learn python programming and it seems very
>> straightforward so far. It seems, however, geared toward doing the sort of
>> programming for terminal output.
>>
>> Is it possible to write the sort of applications you can create in something
>> like c-sharp or visual c++, or should I be looking at some other programming
>> language? I am using ubuntu 12.04.
>
> There are plenty of options for GUI programming in Python.  Among the
> most popular are Tkinter, wxPython, PyGTK, and PyQT, all of which are
> cross-platform and free.  Also, since you specifically mention the
> .NET languages, IronPython runs on .NET and so is able to make full
> use of the .NET APIs including Windows Forms and WPF.  A more
> comprehensive list can be found at:
>
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming

Another platform independent approach is to write the program as a web
server something like this-
def application(environ, start_response):
     start_response("200 OK", [("Content-type", "text/plain")])
     return ["Hello World!"]

if __name__ == '__main__':
     from wsgiref.simple_server import make_server
     server = make_server('localhost', 8080, application)
     server.serve_forever()

Run this and then use your browser to connect to localhost:8080
You can then use html features such as forms for input/output.