PyPy, is it a 1:1 replacement for CPython?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Jul 20 23:59:47 EDT 2012

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 13:35:21 +1000, Simon Cropper wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can you use PyPy as a direct replacement for the normal python or is it
> a specialized compiler that can only work with libraries that are
> manipulated to operate within its constraints (if it has any).

PyPy should work perfectly with pure-Python software. I don't know if it
is compatible with extension libraries written in C or Fortran.

> Are there any issues with using PyPy? For example, if programs are
> created under PyPy are they subtle different from normal code that would
> make the program incompatible with the normal compiler?

I don't expect so. There may be special PyPy functions that other
Python's won't have, but I don't know of any. If you stick to standard
library and language features as described in the normal Python docs, you
should be fine.

--
Steven