reloading code and multiprocessing

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 04:17:47 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 8:15 PM, andrea crotti
<andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> We need to be able to reload code on a live system.  This live system
> has a daemon process always running but it runs many subprocesses with
> multiprocessing, and the subprocesses might have a short life...
> As long as I import the code in the function and make sure to remove the
> "pyc" files everything seems to work..
> Are there any possible problems which I'm not seeing in this approach or
> it's safe?

Python never promises reloading reliability, but from my understanding
of what you've done here, it's probably safe. However, you may find
that you're using the wrong language for the job; it depends on how
expensive it is to spin off all those processes and ship their work to
them. But if that's not an issue, I'd say you have something safe
there. (Caveat: I've given this only a fairly cursory examination, and
I'm not an expert. Others may have more to say. I just didn't want the
resident Markov chainer to be the only one to respond!!)

ChrisA