Need help connecting via a remote VPN

Dave Angel d at davea.name
Thu Jul 19 21:58:11 EDT 2012

On 07/19/2012 09:41 PM, The Coca Cola Kid wrote:
> "Dave Angel"  wrote in message
> news:mailman.2284.1342663213.4697.python-list at python.org...
>
>> Starting a VPN simply makes it possible for IP packets to get to the
>> specified machine.  You still need to match some protocol that the
>> particular remote machine can handle.  SSH is probably the most common,
>> but there are lots of other possibilities, some standard and some
>> custom.  So the question is what does the remote machine (server)
>> support for file access?
>>
>> glob will work if the server supports mounting the remote partition as a
>> file system.  But there are no guarantees that that's possible.  You
>> haven't even said what the two operating systems involved are, though I
>> can guess that the local machine is some version of Windows.
>
> The local machine is running Windows 7.  I'm not sure what the other
> machine is running on, but I assume it can handle ssh.  If it helps, I
> usually connect to it manually via an https web link, and then after
> entering my user name and password in a Firepass session manager it
> runs an active-x cache cleaner program and will then let me navigate
> to server B which is behind the firewall.

If the remote machine is Linux, running sshd, and if you have an account
there, then use scp to copy the file.  And if you want to automate it,
run scp from within python, using the subprocess module.  But make sure
it works manually before bothering to automate it.

To get ssh on Windows, one approach is to install cygwin.

If you want more control than subprocess, there are a whole bunch of 3rd
party ssh libraries for Python.  Just google  python ssh library  to get
at least 6 on the first page.

--

DaveA