Encapsulation, inheritance and polymorphism

Dave Angel d at davea.name
Wed Jul 18 12:33:01 EDT 2012

On 07/18/2012 08:58 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> <SNIP>
>

> 2) To check your internal reasoning in a function or method.
>
> For example:
>
> def foo(something):
>     n = len(something)
>     x = math.sqrt(x)
>     # We expect that x must be less than half of n.
>     # E.g. n=100 gives 10 < 50, which is correct.
>     assert x < n//2
>     process(n, x)
>

> <SNIP>
> For bonus points, can you see the mistake? The stated condition is wrong.
> Without the assert, the process() code could go off and potentially
> silently do the wrong thing, but the assert guards against that
> possibility. And once I've had a bug report that my app raises an
> AssertionError, I will go back and think more carefully about the
> assertion that sqrt(n) is always less than half of n.

There are actually two bugs in that function.  One is in the assertion,
but more importantly, there's a typo earlier.  One that would give a
traceback, so it would be caught quickly.

UnboundLocalError: local variable 'x' referenced before assignment

Once you change the argument of sqrt() to n, then you come to the
problem you were expecting;  if n has a value of 1, 2, or 3, 4, or 5 the
assertion will fire.

--

DaveA