Encapsulation, inheritance and polymorphism

Ulrich Eckhardt ulrich.eckhardt at dominolaser.com
Tue Jul 17 08:18:20 EDT 2012

Am 17.07.2012 13:01, schrieb Lipska the Kat:
> On 17/07/12 10:30, Ulrich Eckhardt wrote:
>> Am 17.07.2012 10:45, schrieb Lipska the Kat:
>>> I was expecting (hoping) to see in depth documentation relating to Class
>>> construction, extension mechanisms and runtime polymorphism.
>>
>> In addition to this forum for direct help and discussion, two
>> suggestions: Firstly, it could help if you mentioned what programming
>> languages you are fluent in
>
> For the past 9 years I have been developing in Java  [...]

Java is usually called an OOP language, because everything you do there
is put into a class. Free functions don't exist, the closest you get is
class-static functions (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not really fluent
in that language). In Python, you have the choice to use OOP, but you
can also use free functions or mix those.

> I'm not used to using variables without declaring their type

As a C++ programmer (roughly 80%C++, 15%Python, 5%C) I know that
feeling. Having types declared in advance just helps by having the
compiler check if the passed arguments are correct. Not having this
gives both freedom but also bears dangers.

> what's this obsession with 'correct' indentation of code ???

You'll get used to it and then start loving it.

;)

Uli