Encapsulation, inheritance and polymorphism

Lipska the Kat lipska at lipskathekat.com
Tue Jul 17 07:01:21 EDT 2012

On 17/07/12 10:30, Ulrich Eckhardt wrote:
> Welcome!
>
> Am 17.07.2012 10:45, schrieb Lipska the Kat:
>> I was expecting (hoping) to see in depth documentation relating to Class
>> construction, extension mechanisms and runtime polymorphism.
>
> In addition to this forum for direct help and discussion, two
> suggestions: Firstly, it could help if you mentioned what programming
> languages you are fluent in

For the past 9 years I have been developing in Java, everything from
device drivers (well firmware interfaces would be a better description)
to serverside business logic implemented using POJOs and database
interfaces along with some in depth work with earlier versions of J2EE
including EJBs and of course the obligatory frameworks. There's more but
you get the idea.

My speciality if you like is the design of high availability real time
business systems right from high level natural language specifications
to detailed use cases and associated models in UML. I also do some
implementation work although not so much these days. phew! my resume in
a nutshell I suppose

Earlier on in my career I did some fairly low level stuff in C and C++
although the mists of time and all that ...

Anyway, I'm looking at Python as a rapid prototyping language.
I have an idea and just want to get it down in basic outline code as
quickly as possible before it departs my aging brain... I'm not used to
using variables without declaring their type ... (well I used to do
Visual Basic many years ago) It just seems so weird, and what's this
obsession with 'correct' indentation of code ???

>in order to help traditional misconceptions
> and to draw parallels. Secondly, http://docs.python.org is the central
> hub to tutorials and documentation.
>

>> What I actually get is a confusion of Classes, modules, scripts and
>> whatever else.
>
> Due to the very dynamic nature of Python, types (classes), modules and
> functions are themselves objects that can be manipulated.

snip

>> I see some documentation relating to classes but nothing on
>> instantiation .. in fact the documentation appears to say that classes
>  > are used in a static way e.g ClassName.method(), and command line
>  > scripting is really outside the scope of other OO languages I have
>  > experienced.
>
> I think you are confused.

Highly likely

> For the documentation, it would help to know
> which documentation exactly seems to make such claims. For the thing
> about commandline scripting, I'm afraid you will have to adjust your
> expectations.

I'll try to find it again

> BTW: In general, you instantiate a class by just calling the class' name
> like a function. If e.g. ClassName is a class, ClassName() instantiates
> this class.
>

> Good luck!

Thank you, and thank you for your kind response

Lipska

--
Lipska the Kat: Troll hunter, Sandbox destroyer
and Farscape dreamer of Aeryn Sun.