Encapsulation, inheritance and polymorphism

Lipska the Kat lipska at lipskathekat.com
Tue Jul 17 04:45:16 EDT 2012

Pythoners

Python 2.7.3
Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS

I've been taking a brief look at Python.

 From the tutorial documentation I get the following

'Python is an easy to learn, powerful programming language. It has
efficient high-level data structures and a simple but effective approach
to object-oriented programming'.

I was expecting (hoping) to see in depth documentation relating to Class
construction, extension mechanisms and runtime polymorphism.

What I actually get is a confusion of Classes, modules, scripts and
whatever else.

Is Python truly OO or is it just one way to use the language. I see some
documentation relating to classes but nothing on instantiation .. in
fact the documentation appears to say that classes are used in a static
way e.g ClassName.method(), and command line scripting is really outside
the scope of other OO languages I have experienced.

Is there a previous discussion in the group that I could read.

Many thanks

Lipska

--
Lipska the Kat: Troll hunter, Sandbox destroyer
and Farscape dreamer.