Implicit conversion to boolean in if and while statements

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Jul 17 03:08:33 EDT 2012

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 00:19:48 -0500, Andrew Berg wrote:

> To put it in duck-typing terms, why should everything have to quack like
> True or False? Sure, I can see why 1 quacks like True or [] quacks like
> False, but I don't see why say, a Logger or function should quack like
> either.

The default behaviour is that every object is something, hence true-like,
unless explicitly coded to be treated as false-like. Since both loggers
and functions are objects, they are true-like unless the default is
overridden.

If you don't like that simple, consistent model for truthiness, feel free
to design your own language with a different model. Or you can use any
one of the dozens of other existing languages which do what you want.

> Should a Thread object be True if it's been started and False
> otherwise?

If you, the Thread class author, want it to be, you can make it so.

> If it truly is about something vs. nothing, why is a NameError (or
> AttributeError) raised when testing with an undefined variable? Being
> undefined quacks like nothing, doesn't it?

Not really. It doesn't quack like anything.

Are you suggesting that if x doesn't exist, you want this behaviour?

>>> del x  # make sure x doesn't exist
>>> if x: print('cheese')
... else:
...     print('x is falsy')
...     print(x)
x is falsy
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
NameError: name 'x' is not defined

OH MAN, that would be SO AWESOME, we should like so do it!!!

(I'm being sarcastic, in case it's not obvious.)

--
Steven