Implicit conversion to boolean in if and while statements

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon Jul 16 00:20:40 EDT 2012

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 20:21:41 -0700, Ranting Rick wrote:

> On Jul 15, 9:58 pm, Steven D'Aprano <steve
> +comp.lang.pyt... at pearwood.info> wrote:
>> On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 18:21:06 -0700, Ranting Rick wrote:
>> > If HOWEVER we want to "truth test" an object (as in: "if obj") we
>> > should be FORCED to use the bool! Why? Because explicit is better
>> > than implicit
>>
>> And this is why Rick always writes code like:
>
> Traceback (most recent quip last):
>   Author: "<DeAprano>", line 7, in <post>
> LogicalFallacyError: "Reductio ad absurdum"

Deary deary me Rick. Reductio ad adsurdum is not a fallacy. It is a
counter-argument to an argument or claim, by showing that the premise of
the original claim leads to an absurd conclusion.

You have claimed that we should always be explicit whenever we write. But
you do not actually live up to your own advice, because you can't: it is
absurd to try to be explicit about everything all the time. You have
misunderstood the purpose of the Zen of Python: it is not to claim that
everything should be explicit, but to avoid code that is hard to
understand because things which need to be explicit for clarity are
implied by other parts of your code.

(It's not like explicit and implicit are distinct -- everything depends
on something implicit, if only the meaning of the words you use to
describe it.)

It certainly doesn't mean that the semantics of Python the language must
be written out explicitly every time you use each feature.

for x in sequence:  # Yes, implies that we iterate over the values

for loop variable named x in iterable sequence iterate over values and
assign the loop variable each time you go around the loop executing the
following block each time:
    # No, since that tells us what we already know and just adds
    # meaningless verbosity for the sake of faux "explicitness"

--
Steven