howto do a robust simple cross platform beep

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sat Jul 14 13:54:37 EDT 2012

Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> writes:
>> How do others handle simple beeps?
>>
>> I just want to use them as alert, when certain events occur within a
>> very long running non GUI application.
>
> Why? Do you hate your users?

I, too, would find it useful -- for me (although I do not hate myself).

Surely, you know an alarm clock. Usually, it gives an audible signal
when it is time to do something. A computer can in principle be used
as a flexible alarm clock - but it is not so easy with the audible signal...
An audible signal has the advantage (over a visual one) that you can
recognize it even when you are not looking at the screen (because you
are thinking).

Unfortunately, I had to give up. My new computer lacks a working
speaker...