adding a simulation mode

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Fri Jul 13 13:08:16 EDT 2012

> > Please do NOT catch BaseException, since that is the wrong thing to do.
>
> I would agree if you had said "in production code".
>
> If you are investigating why a third-party function is stopping your
> interpreter, then catching BaseException may tell you that the code
> is raising the wrong kind of Exception.  Once you know what kind the
> function is raising, you should catch only that particular excpetion
> subclass.

I would say the opposite. In production code usually I want it
to recover, log as much information as I need (including sending
any notifications), and NOT just die.

In development, not catching the exception will give me a full
trace back automatically. Why bother with trying to catch and
print something when the interpreter will do it for me? Not
to mention that removes any hassle of trying to catch the
"right" exception or figuring out the best way to print it.
I suppose if there are arguments on the exception that were not
printed then I might want to catch it, but has been rare
in my experience.

Ramit