Writing a wrapper - any tips?

Temia Eszteri lamialily at cleverpun.com
Fri Jul 13 00:03:23 EDT 2012

I'm going to be looking into writing a wrapper for the Allegro 5 game
development libraries, either with ctypes or Cython. They technically
have a basic 1:1 ctypes wrapper currently, but I wanted to make
something more pythonic, because it'd be next to impossible to deal
with the memory management cleanly in the script itself.

Anything I should keep in mind? Any tips to pass on to a first-time
module writer, pitfalls to watch out for, etc.?

~Temia

P.S. I know another game development library, SDL, was wrapped for
Python in the form of Pygame, but I *really* don't like SDL.
--
The amazing programming device: fuelled entirely by coffee, it codes while
awake and tests while asleep!