How to safely maintain a status file

Michael Hrivnak mhrivnak at hrivnak.org
Mon Jul 9 16:47:22 EDT 2012

Please consider batching this data and doing larger writes.  Thrashing
the hard drive is not a good plan for performance or hardware
longevity.  For example, crawl an entire FQDN and then write out the
results in one operation.  If your job fails in the middle and you
have to start that FQDN over, no big deal.  If that's too big of a
chunk for your purposes, perhaps break each FQDN up into top-level
directories and crawl each of those in one operation before writing to
disk.

There are existing solutions for managing job queues, so you can
choose what you like.  If you're unfamiliar, maybe start by looking at
celery.

Michael