Discussion on some Code Issues

subhabangalore at gmail.com subhabangalore at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 15:54:16 EDT 2012

On Thursday, July 5, 2012 4:51:46 AM UTC+5:30, (unknown) wrote:
> Dear Group,
>
> I am Sri Subhabrata Banerjee trying to write from Gurgaon, India to discuss some coding issues. If any one of this learned room can shower some light I would be helpful enough.
>
> I got to code a bunch of documents  which are combined together.
> Like,
>
> 1)A Mumbai-bound aircraft with 99 passengers on board was struck by lightning on Tuesday evening that led to complete communication failure in mid-air and forced the pilot to make an emergency landing.
> 2) The discovery of a new sub-atomic particle that is key to understanding how the universe is built has an intrinsic Indian connection.
> 3) A bomb explosion outside a shopping mall here on Tuesday left no one injured, but Nigerian authorities put security agencies on high alert fearing more such attacks in the city.
>
> The task is to separate the documents on the fly and to parse each of the documents with a definite set of rules.
>
> Now, the way I am processing is:
> I am clubbing all the documents together, as,
>
> A Mumbai-bound aircraft with 99 passengers on board was struck by lightning on Tuesday evening that led to complete communication failure in mid-air and forced the pilot to make an emergency landing.The discovery of a new sub-atomic particle that is key to understanding how the universe is built has an intrinsic Indian connection. A bomb explosion outside a shopping mall here on Tuesday left no one injured, but Nigerian authorities put security agencies on high alert fearing more such attacks in the city.
>
> But they are separated by a tag set, like,
> A Mumbai-bound aircraft with 99 passengers on board was struck by lightning on Tuesday evening that led to complete communication failure in mid-air and forced the pilot to make an emergency landing.$
> The discovery of a new sub-atomic particle that is key to understanding how the universe is built has an intrinsic Indian connection.$
> A bomb explosion outside a shopping mall here on Tuesday left no one injured, but Nigerian authorities put security agencies on high alert fearing more such attacks in the city.
>
> To detect the document boundaries, I am splitting them into a bag of words and using a simple for loop as,
> for i in range(len(bag_words)):
>         if bag_words[i]=="$":
>             print (bag_words[i],i)
>
> There is no issue. I am segmenting it nicely. I am using annotated corpus so applying parse rules.
>
> The confusion comes next,

> [...]

Thanks Peter but I feel your earlier one was better, I got an interesting one:
[i - 1 for i in range(len(f1)) if f1.startswith('$', i - 1)]

But I am bit intrigued with another question,

suppose I say:
  file_open=open("/python32/doc1.txt","r")
  file=a1.read().lower()
  for line in file:
       line_word=line.split()

This works fine. But if I print it would be printed continuously.
I like to store in some variable,so that I may print line of my choice and manipulate them at my choice.
Is there any way out to this problem?

Regards,
Subhabrata Banerjee