simpler increment of time values?

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Thu Jul 5 13:34:16 EDT 2012

On 7/4/2012 5:29 PM, Vlastimil Brom wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'd like to ask about the possibilities to do some basic manipulation
> on timestamps - such as incrementing a given time (hour.minute -
> string) by some minutes.
> Very basic notion of "time" is assumed, i.e. dateless,
> timezone-unaware, DST-less etc.
> I first thought, it would be possible to just add a timedelta to a
> time object, but, it doesn't seem to be the case.

    That's correct.  A datetime.time object is a time within a day.
A datetime.date object is a date without a time.  A datetime.datetime
object contains both.

   You can add a datetime.timedelta object to a datetime.datetime
object, which will yield a datetime.datetime object.

   You can also call time.time(), and get the number of seconds
since the epoch (usually 1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC). That's just
a number, and you can do arithmetic on that.

   Adding a datetime.time to a datetime.timedelta isn't that
useful.  It would have to return a value error if the result
crossed a day boundary.

				John Nagle