Help using Tix and tix.balloon in tkinter.ttk Gui on Py 3.2.3, Mac OS X 10.6.8

Greg Edwards gedwards2 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 20:14:02 EDT 2012

Hi,

I'm trying to get Tix installed and working, in order to use Tix.balloon in
the first instance.

I'm using Python 3.2.3 on Mac OS X 10.6.8, installed from direct package
download from Python.org. Have also installed Py 2.7.3, and the native Mac
Py 2.6.1 and 2.5.4 are all working fine as well and not tromping on each
other.

Building a variety of Gui's under 2.7.3 and 3.2.3 with tkinter, ttk and all
going well. I'm recreating a pile of Gui's I have had for years under plain
Tcl/Tk (on Linux and Irix).

I can't get Tix working at all, doesn't seem to be supplied with any of the
Python dists. Example:

~/lang/python/tkinter/devpanel $ py3
Python 3.2.3 (v3.2.3:3d0686d90f55, Apr 10 2012, 11:25:50)
[GCC 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5666) (dot 3)] on darwin
~/.pythonstartup
>>> import tkinter
>>> import tkinter.ttk
>>> import tkinter.tix
>>> root = tkinter.tix.Tk()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.2/lib/python3.2/tkinter/tix.py",
line 225, in __init__
    self.tk.eval('package require Tix')
_tkinter.TclError: can't find package Tix

My Python is still elementary, I may be importing and invoking Tix badly.
I've searched the Python, Tkinter, Tix sites for a few hours, searched my
Mac for tixlib files, no luck. Looks like you can build Tix from source and
install, but web posts indicate this is very hard and I don't see any
useful traffic on that in the last 2 or 3 years, never a good sign.

Any pointers appreciated ! Hope I don't get flamed, I see this group has
some epic flame wars.

Cheers,

--
Greg Edwards,