helping with unicode

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 21:14:24 EDT 2012

On 7/2/2012 7:49 PM, self.python wrote:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:wrong.py", line 8, in <module>
>     print rf.read().decode('utf-8')
> UnicodeEncodeError: 'cp949' codec can't encode character u'u1368' in position 5
> 5122: illegal multibyte sequence
>
> cp949 is the basic codec of sys.stdout and cmd.exe
> but I have no idea why it doesn't works.
> printing without decode('utf-8') works fine on IDLE but on cmd, it print broken characters(Ascii portion is still fine, problem is only about the Korean)
Your terminal can't display those characters. You could try using other
code pages with chcp (a CLI utility that is part of Windows). IDLE is a
GUI, so it does not have to work with code pages.

Python 3.3 supports cp65001 (which is the equivalent of UTF-8 for
Windows terminals), but unfortunately, previous versions do not.
--
CPython 3.3.0a4 | Windows NT 6.1.7601.17803