ANN: eGenix PyRun - One file Python Runtime 1.0.0

Simon Cropper simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com
Mon Jul 2 20:41:01 EDT 2012

On 02/07/12 23:52, eGenix Team: M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> ANNOUNCING
>
>                   eGenix PyRun - One file Python Runtime
>
>                               Version 1.0.0
>

>            An easy-to-use single file relocatable Python run-time -
>              available for Windows, Mac OS X and Unix platforms
>

> This announcement is also available on our web-site for online reading:
> http://www.egenix.com/company/news/eGenix-PyRun-1.0.0.html

> INTRODUCTION
>
> Our new eGenix PyRun combines a Python interpreter with an almost
> complete Python standard library into a single easy-to-use
> executable, that does not require a system wide installation and
> is fully relocatable.
>
> eGenix PyRun's executable only needs 12MB, but still supports
> most Python application and scripts - and it can be further
> compressed to 3-4MB using gzexe or upx.
>
> Compared to a regular Python installation of typically 100MB on
> disk, this makes eGenix PyRun ideal for applications and scripts
> that need to be distributed to many target machines, client
> installations or customers.
>
> It makes "installing" Python on a Unix based system as simple as
> copying a single file.
>
>      http://www.egenix.com/products/python/PyRun/

> NEWS
>
> This is the first public release of eGenix PyRun. We have been
> using the product internally in our mxODBC Connect Server since
> 2008 with great success and have now extracted it into a
> stand-alone open-source product.
>
> We provide both the source archive to build your own eGenix
> PyRun, as well as provide pre-compiled binaries for Linux,
> FreeBSD and Mac OS X, for the resp. 32- and 64-bit platforms.
>
> Presentation at EuroPython 2012
> -------------------------------
>
> Marc-André, CEO of eGenix, will be giving a presentation about
> eGenix PyRun at EuroPython 2012 in Florence, Italy on Wednesday,
> July 4th in the Room Tagliatelle.
>
> He will also be available during the conference to answer
> questions.

> DOWNLOADS
>
> The download archives and instructions for installing the product
> can be found at:
>
>      http://www.egenix.com/products/python/PyRun/

> SUPPORT
>
> Commercial support for these packages is available from eGenix.com.
> Please see
>
>      http://www.egenix.com/services/support/
>
> for details about our support offerings.

> MORE INFORMATION
>
> For more information about eGenix PyRun, licensing and download
> instructions, please visit our web-site or write to
> sales at egenix.com.
>
> Enjoy,

Hello,

Are you able to indicate what size the installation would be WITH ALL
the mentioned dependencies on various typical systems (MS Windows 32/64,
Ubuntu, etc)?

Saying something is only 12-13 MB in size is one thing but noting that
you need 283MB+* of other packages means that in order to get this
package to work on another machine you would need to install more than a
12-13MB executable, particularly on a Windows machine.

OpenSSL on Windows 20MB -- http://slproweb.com/products

zlib binary on Windows 0.012MB-- /Win32OpenSSL.html --
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/zlib.htm

SQLite binary for Windows 262.59 MB -- http://www.sqlite.org/download.html/

BZip tarball 0.75 MB -- http://www.bzip.org/downloads.html

Also, do you have a page that indicates what standard libraries have
been included? How can someone tell whether they would need to
distribute or include any additional modules to get a script to work?

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator / Website Administrator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides
    Introduction               http://www.fossworkflowguides.com
    GIS Packages           http://www.fossworkflowguides.com/gis
    bash / Python    http://www.fossworkflowguides.com/scripting