when "normal" parallel computations in CPython will be implemented at last?

Thomas Jollans t at jollybox.de
Sun Jul 1 14:53:13 EDT 2012

On 07/01/2012 07:51 PM, dmitrey wrote:
> hi all,
> are there any information about upcoming availability of parallel
> computations in CPython without modules like  multiprocessing? I mean
> something like parallel "for" loops, or, at least, something without
> forking with copying huge amounts of RAM each time and possibility to
> involve unpiclable data (vfork would be ok, but AFAIK it doesn't work
> with CPython due to GIL).
>
> AFAIK in PyPy some progress have been done (
> http://morepypy.blogspot.com/2012/06/stm-with-threads.html )

As far as I can tell, there are no concrete plans to integrate
concurrency better, or get rid of the GIL, at the moment. To quote
http://wiki.python.org/moin/GlobalInterpreterLock

  """Getting rid of the GIL is an occasional topic on the python-dev
mailing list. No one has managed it yet."""

There are currently no open or accepted PEPs on the subject of concurrency.
http://www.python.org/dev/peps/

There is, of course, Stackless Python.
http://stackless.com/