code review

Alister alister.ware at ntlworld.com
Sun Jul 1 05:54:55 EDT 2012

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 23:45:25 -0500, Evan Driscoll wrote:

> On 6/30/2012 19:37, Chris Angelico wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 10:08 AM, Ben Finney
>> <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>>> I know of no programming language that would give a newcomer to Python
>>> that expectation. So where is the norm you're referring to?
>>
>> C, SQL, REXX, and many other languages.
>
> Some others: Lua, Javascript, Ruby, O'Caml.
>
> In fact, the only language I can find that uses infix notation (i.e. no
> Lisp) where it's *not* true that "a < b < c" is equivalent to "(a < b) <
> c" is Haskell -- and that's because < is not associative and "a < b < c"
> is a syntax error. (FWIW this is my favorite approach.) You may also
> want to put Java in there as well, as < is effectively not commutative
> in that language. (I didn't try C#.)
>
> I've been programming in Python for a few years and this is the first
> time I've seen this. If I had seen that in a program, I'd have assumed
> it was a bug.
>
> Evan

You would?
I have only been using python for 6 - 12 months but in my past I
programmed microcontrollers in assembly.

as soon as i saw it i understood it & thought great, like a light bulb
going on.

I suppose I have the advantage that it is only the taint of BASIC (in the
home computer era) that I have had to overcome and my programming style
has not been unduly influenced by c & others.

it is easy to write C, or Pascal or even BASIC in python but why bother,
why not just use C, Pascal or BASIC in that case?

--
I respect faith, but doubt is what gives you an education.
		-- Wilson Mizner