what is the unicode?

Dan Sommers dan at tombstonezero.net
Sat Jan 28 10:01:09 EST 2012

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 15:47:17 +0800, contro opinion wrote:

> '\xe4\xb8\xad\xe5\x9b\xbd'
>
> so,'\xe4\xb8\xad\xe5\x9b\xbd'  is the  utf-8  of  '中国'

Those bytes are the utf-8 encoding of those CJK ideograph (I won't even
pretend to know what those CJK ideographs are or what they mean).

> '\xd6\xd0\xb9\xfa'
> so,'\xd6\xd0\xb9\xfa' is the  utf-8  of  '中国'

Those bytes are the gbk encoding of those CJK ideographs.

> u'\u4e2d\u56fd'
>
> what is the meaning of u'\u4e2d\u56fd'? u'\u4e2d\u56fd'  =  \x4e2d\x56fd
>  ??

Those are the "code points" of those characters.  Unicode assigns code
point, which are just integers, to characters.  The code points are easier
to work with inside your application, but you usually have to encode them
into bytes to transfer them into or out of your application.

HTH,
Dan