Where to put data

bvdp bob at mellowood.ca
Thu Jan 26 11:30:21 EST 2012

On Wednesday, January 25, 2012 8:30:54 PM UTC-7, Michael Torrie wrote:

> Unless you are writing a python library that will be used by others, I
> don't think that where you put your files has anything to do with being
> "pythonic" or not.  Just do what works for your OS.

Yes. I agree and it's nice to have a confirmation. So far I've been putting all my program into /usr/local/share/MYPROGRAM and then simply inserting an entry into sys.path.

Then, for other systems, I check a few common locations until I find the installation.

I'm getting mangled by the debian maintainers and friends who seem to believe that python modules need to go into /usr/lib/python...