import fails in non-interactive interpreter

Brian Brinegar brian.brinegar at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 09:37:41 EST 2012

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 8:49 AM, Jean-Michel Pichavant
<jeanmichel at sequans.com> wrote:
> Brian Brinegar wrote:
>>
>> JM,
>>
>> Thanks for the response, you're correct '' is pre-pended to the path
>> in interactive mode. I've tried adding . to my PYTHONPATH and it
>> doesn't solve the problem.
>>
>> When imported from interactive python the paste.deploy module is located
>> at:

>> ['/home/brian/webapps/test_dyn/lib/python2.7/paste/deploy']
>>
>> My path for both interactive and non-interactive contains:
>>
>> /home/brian/webapps/test_dyn/lib/python2.7
>>
>> From the interactive interpreter I can import paste if my working
>> directory is inside of the.
>>
>> /home/brian/webapps/test_dyn
>>
>> Moving to a working directory above "test_dyn" point causes the import
>> to fail in the interactive interpreter as well.
>>
>> I am able to import packages located the lib/python2.7/site-packages
>> directory of my virtualenv instance, but not the lib/python2.7
>> directory.
>>
>> Thanks again,
>> Brian
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 5:58 AM, Jean-Michel Pichavant
>> <jeanmichel at sequans.com> wrote:

>>> [Snip]

>>> Are you sure ? with python 2.5, in interactive mode '' is happened to
>>> sys.path and is absent from it when a python file is executed.
>>>
>>> python -c "import sys; print '' in sys.path"
>>> True
>>> python test.py
>>> False

>>> As a more general notice, if you want to be able to import paste from
>>> everywhere, it must be properly installed as a python module.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> JM
>>>

> Difficult to say without your PYTHONPATH value.
>
> Assuming your PYTHONPATH is
>
> /home/brian/webapps/test_dyn/lib/python2.7/site-packages
>
> 1/ paste is stable, copy the paste directory into
> /home/brian/webapps/test_dyn/lib/python2.7/site-packages
> 2/ paste is not stable, i.e. you're changing it from time to time, make a
> symbolic link to your dev paste directory within
> /home/brian/webapps/test_dyn/lib/python2.7/site-packages
>
> you should now be able to import paste from anywhere.
>
> JM
>

> PS : please don't top post

JM,

Thanks so much for all of your help. I added a symlink in
site-packages and it still did not work. Upon further investigation I
found that the there wasn't an __init__.py in the paste or
paste/deploy directories. Creating python2.7/paste/__init__.py and
python2.7/paste/deploy/__init__.py fixed the issue without a need for
the symlink.

I'm curious why the interactive interpreter is able to import this
without the proper package structure.

Thanks again for your help,
Brian