Please don't use "setuptools", the "rotten .egg" install system.

Andrea Crotti andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 12:21:54 EST 2012

On 01/19/2012 05:05 PM, John Nagle wrote:
>     I can do it, I just have better things to do than system
> administration.  The fact that Python doesn't "just work" is
> part of why it's losing market share.

Maybe in your home is losing market (if you're so sure post some sources).

>     If it can be built with "python setup.py build", go that way.
> A "setup.py" script, invoked with the correct Python, reliably
> knows which Python it is supposed to update.  "egg" files
> usually have trouble with that.
>
>     Prebuilt systems should use the installer for the distro, and
> work with yum, apt-get, or the Windows installer as appropriate.
>
>     It does seem to be necessary to install the development tools
> on a Linux system just to get various Python packages to install.
> Major packages are still all over the place.
> PyPy is just a directory of links, not a repository like CPAN.
>
>     Python sort of slips through the cracks.  Nobody is doing
> the work to make PyPy handle these problems, and Python isn't
> important enough for MySQL, etc. to support the connector for
> the language.  (They support Perl, C, Java, etc., but not
> Python.)
>
>                 John Nagle

An egg includes a python and OS version actually, and you're perfectly
free to use your favourite distro-installer system.

Someone cares if MySQL doesn't officially support Python when
there are already perfectly working connectors?

Most hardware vendors don't support Linux and Linux drivers often
work way better than the Windows-equivalent (just to make an example).