python loggingL filter limitation, looks intentional?

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 16 10:08:25 EST 2012

Hi Chris,

Filtering is intended to be for cases where integer level-based filtering is insufficient; hence it applies to individual loggers and handlers, just as the integer levels do.  You are right that you would need to add a filter to all of the loggers where you want it to apply, or to all of the handlers where you want it to apply. However, if you find your usage pattern occurring very commonly in your applications, it's easy enough to create a DelegatingHandler handler class which passes its events on to any number of handlers you like. You can then apply the filter you want to an instance of this handler, which you attach to your root logger.
Regards,

Vinay Sajip