Hash stability

Heiko Wundram modelnine at modelnine.org
Sat Jan 14 17:45:59 EST 2012

Am 14.01.2012 10:46, schrieb Peter Otten:
> Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> How many people rely on hash(some_string) being stable across Python
>> versions? Does anyone have code that will be broken if the string hashing
>> algorithm changes?
>
> Nobody who understands the question ;)

Erm, not exactly true. There are actually some packages out there (take
suds [https://fedorahosted.org/suds/], for example) that rely on the
hashing algorithm to be stable to function "properly" (suds uses hash()
of strings to create caches of objects/XML Schemas on the filesystem).
This, in a different context, bit me at the end of last week, when
required to use suds to access EWS.

I'd personally start debating the sensibility of this decision on the
part of the suds developers, but... That's not the question. ;-)

--
--- Heiko.